Saturday, March 21, 2009

Happy New Year

It's the Afghan New Year today, Saturday, March 21, 2009

And yet again, the Afghan translators have invited me to their company party (I think I've been officially adopted) to help celebrate the new year, 1388! That's right, 1388.

One of the younger Afghan translators remarked; " Yeah, it's 1388, maybe that's why we're so far behind". We laughed, but in some ways, from what I've seen, he wasn't kidding!

This brings to mind the words of the artist, formerly known as Prince (or is he Prince again?):

"...Yeah, everybody's got a bomb
We could all die any day
But before I'll let that happen
I'll dance my life away

They say two thousand zero zero party over
Oops, out of time
We're runnin' outta time
So tonight we gonna, we gonna

(Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999)"

Let's see, I guess if I take Prince's advice, and party like its 1999, I would be 611 years ahead of the Afghans! Whoo Hoo! Wonder if they'll be ready for me?
Wonder if any women will be wearing a burqua, for old times sake? Here I come naan and kabob!


No comments:

Post a Comment

DeployedTeacher.com domain from:

Banner